CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 23, 2008

CULTURES

In the 1960's I became aware of Governor George Wallace. I was in my late teens. I could not stand the man; I was horrified that he thought segregation was acceptable. My attitude toward him was not Christian as I wasn't at the time. When he got shot my attitude was, "serves him right". The black community sure didn't like him because of his racism. And today I see no difference between him and Jeremiah Wright. Well I don't think Wallace called down curses on American, but I think his actions brought curses.

Since becoming a Christian I have been amazed at how many people do not believe God's Word who say they are Christians.
Picking and choosing what to believe and live by is NOT an option. Blessing instead of cursing (1 Peter 3:8,9), hate instead of love (John 13:33), treat people differently because of race, money, power (James 2:2-4)...

Men (human beings) were made in God's image. Christ died ONCE FOR ALL! How dare any of us judge someone else:

Matt 7:1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

I am so grieved that people who claim to stand for Christ are so devoid of knowing who He is, what He stands for, what He taught. They do not seem to grasp the heart of His message--love. The entire Bible is based on it.

I had a teacher who said once, "All behavior makes sense if you know the reason for it. It doesn't make the behavior right (serial killers for instance) but it gives you a point to start from".

Where racism is concerned I am not just talking about one race against another. I've known racists of all colors.

There is a book that is out of print called "Black and White Styles in Conflict". It does have horrible language because the author took the words from rap songs. But it shows how their culture differs from the white culture. Where it came from, etc. It made me realize that certain things about cultures are not understood by other cultures and if we would be able to be open and honest, instead of judgmental and critical, a lot of misunderstandings and judgments would go away.

Different part of the country are the same way. I grew up in Southern California. It's a fast paced life out there with lots to do and more acceptance of people where they are. I moved to the slow very traditional south. It was culture shock. They have been shocked by me too :-). In CA where we went to church for a bit was a block from Seal Beach's beach. Kids came to church in shorts, tank tops, leaned their surfboards against the wall. If someone did that in your church or area what would happen? Women here dress to the 9's for church because they are bringing their best, but teaching has wrong and hearts have been left unreached by the worry about appearance.

May the eyes of our understanding be illumined. May our love be so strong for Jesus that it never grows cold toward human beings or lukewarm toward Him.

0 comments: