CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 2, 2007

FIRST MEMORIES


My friend, Merrie, just did a blog on 5 things she remembers. It made me look back and I decided to do my first memory. Trains. I still love trains. My mother had to take me, at a month old, to where my dad was stationed in the Army--Cheyenne, WY. We went to Oregon months later and back to Illinois to visit and then moved in Long Beach, CA. I loved the way the train moved. It's probably why I love it when ships are moving quite a bit. I remember the smell of the dining car and wondering why the men would call for the last drink. My mom said it was because the state we were entering was a "dry" state. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how they could live without water. :-) I remember being terrified the train would leave without us and not wanting to be off the train long. Why I was afraid? Not sure. I remember having the births made up to sleep; being in a small restroom with a woman putting on her make-up (I have prayed for her every time I remember her.)

These are all wonderful memories. Maybe I'll go for another nice stroll down the lane some time. It was nice, but I don't want to stay too long. I'm grateful for now too.

3 comments:

Merrie said...

What a fun memory. I also love trains and was fascinated by them. We had the "Nancy Hanks" (never understood that name) but it went from Atlanta to the coast. Grandmama would ride the Nancy Hanks to visit us in Atlanta. It stopped in front of her house. At my other Grandmama's house, every night at 8, the whole town would go to the station and wait for the train to come in to see who was coming and who was going. Such a fascination with other's business!

Merrie said...

I also agree about not staying in the past. I think men stay more in the past and live in their past accomplishments... talk about their "stardom" at sports or job or whatever. Women live more in the future - I believe.
We need to be content in the NOW. SOOOO hard

LIFESPEAKER said...

I really like how Graham Cooke put it. We can either live in our present/past or our present/future. The move healing from the past I get the brighter the future looks.