CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

DETAILS ~ RELATIONSHIPS


A friend and I were talking about ministry. She mentioned a friend of hers who said that God is interested in the details of the ministry. However, she said she believed He was interested in the details of the relationships in the ministry. This set me thinking.

Looking back on ministries I've been involved in when things have gone downhill, in the negative way, I can see where relationships were the cause. People became offended, they didn't care what other people thought, they became offenders. I can see where elitism, control, dominating attitudes, arrogance, and pride have really stopped what seemed to be, and I believe was, God moving in our midst. It seems that we forgot to be kind to one another, forgiving as Christ has forgiven us. We forgot that we are all imperfect and in process and that so and so hurts in ways I don't and I hurt in ways they don't and that the pain can cause lots of misunderstandings that grace is needed for. Blatant sin can not be tolerated but I can see how I and others judged someone's words, actions, body language as something that person never meant...we were the sinners because we judged them.

When I have seen God move the most powerfully people have been in harmonious relationship with each other and Him. So if I'm sensing a ministry isn't what I think it should be, what I want it to be or if I am having problems with it I guess I'd better check out my relationship with the people. Am I being loving and forgiving? Is it my pride that is hurt? Can I disagree and see things from a different perspective and not be disagreeable or angry if they don't see things my way? In some cases there may be something horribly wrong but I need to make sure of where my heart is and how my relationships are.

The ministry statement of Jesus is Luke 4:18
"THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED

That talks about people.

The two great commandments are, in a nutshell, Love God, Love others as yourself. That does not talk about a building or a program. That is relationship.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Excellent!!!

Looking back, offences, relationships, pride & unforgiveness definitely do hinder ministry with others & within ourselves. Satan knows that & uses those tools to hinder God's work or move - I've seen it happen many times. Too often, ministry & ministries started out being 'of God' & then, feelings got in the way & it became about people - then, God's plan got lost.

Sad to say, a few times, I've had God convict me of my negative feelings at the time & I had to repent to get ministry back on track. So, I know what you're saying is accurate. I learned to take things to God - what I saw happening & the people involved, & let Him deal with any error. I also learned that we don't always know the whole story behind things we see happening, but God does. Our job, from what so many scriptures say, is to love & forgive. That alone can be a full-time effort at times.

Thanks for writing this & reminding us all.

Merrie said...

Absolutley true! I have seen times in our ministry when there was offense (either on our part or theirs) and it stopped the ability to minister.

I pray that as ministers of the gospel that we do learn to walk in love and take no account of wrong done.

Thanks for the encouragement and exhortation!

oh... I love your new look too!
Welcome back to bloggy world - we have missed you!

rhonda rowe said...

That is very wise of you. I always want to be pure before the Lord in all relationships. I also like your flower. The colors are beautiful. Tell your family I said hello... rhonda